Nick Thomas

Director - Head of Civil Litigation

Tell us about yourself

I am a Partner of Atkins Hope Solicitors. I qualified as a solicitor in 1980 and joined a predecessor firm which later became Atkins Hope in the same year.

What’s your Expertise?

My specialist area of law is Personal Injury Claims; so clients looking to pursue compensation after suffering an accident that wasn’t their fault will have their claims taken care of by me.

I also handle civil actions including actions against police, probate disputes and professional negligence claims.

What do you offer clients of Atkins Hope Solicitors?

My substantial experience in both the legal and medical issues in pursuing a claim allow me to deal with claims efficiently, cutting to the chase of what is truly important in the case and thus usually leading to a saving of time in the long run.

I would like to think I am sympathetic yet straightforward with my advice. I will always use jargon free language and endeavour to make things as simple for clients as possible.

Whether a claim is likely to run to a six figure award, or is of a smaller nature, it still has the same significance to me: all cases are treated on even terms, given that my total focus is to obtain the outcome that is best for the client and their future.

What else would you like to tell us about your role?

I take an interest in forming an understanding of the medical issues involved in a Personal Injury claim and I do this by working closely with medical professionals.

I’ve learnt how to put questions to consultants and how to interpret medical reports. There are distinct benefits in this for clients because I will have a far better understanding of their long term prognosis and will be able to include as much provision for future medical and other issues in their claim as possible.

Specialist Panel and Association Membership show you have reached a notable level of expertise and experience in your specialist area of law. Do you belong to any of these?

I belong to The Law Society Personal Injury Panel and am accredited by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL). APIL is an independent, not-for-profit association that has built a notable reputation for improving standards in personal injury legal services and solicitors must prove a certain level of competence before they are accepted as accredited members.

Could you give us a quote?

We are happy always to give costs estimates, but a case taken on under a No Win No Fee type agreement is not likely to require the client to pay us anything until the successful conclusion of the case and then it is likely that your opponent will pay all, or most, of our costs.

“A Personal Injury Lawyer needs to have a good understanding of the medical side of a claim to be able to get the best results for their client.”

Is there anything else you’d like to tell us?

I would just like to remind clients that I offer a free initial assessment of their Personal Injury case; No Win No Fee funding and outside visits to clients at home or in hospital.

Do you have something intriguing to leave us with?

I feel passionately about what is happening in the world of personal injury claims at present. Large insurance companies are actively trying to prevent individuals from accessing local independent solicitors to represent them, either by offering to settle their claims direct on behalf of third parties, or insisting that they use their own “panel” solicitors (usually who pay them large referral fees for the privilege). Most clients I speak to are very clear that they prefer to have their claims dealt with locally by somebody they can trust and who they can talk to and visit. The world of call centres and mass claims handling is something that I agree does not give the client a good service and is unlikely to be something that clients will find appealing. In my experience it is rare for insurance companies to make acceptable offers at first and on that basis why would you trust them to deal directly with you? I can usually match any package that may be offered to you either by a third party insurer or an insurer who may be offered to you as part of your house contents insurance policy.